We have a tradition of innovative concert programming that encompasses many areas of the repertoire, such as:
- classical overtures, concertos and symphonies;
- works for smaller orchestra from the 19th and 20th centuries;
- neglected works by well known composers;
- new works specially commissioned by the orchestra.
In recent years we have accompanied performances by Simon Callaghan, Lesley Shrigley Jones, Jeanine Thorpe and and Jane Wilkinson, and performed works narrated by Penny Smith and James Naughtie.
The Kingston performance [of Gordon Jacob's Oboe Concerto No 2] was impressive; it was a mature reading, excellently accomplished by both soloist and the KCO and it received a most warm response from the audience.
-- Dr Geoff Ogram
The Kingston Chamber Orchestra has been the Associate Orchestra of Kingston University since 2013. We are very grateful for the regular use of the University's rehearsal facilities at Coombehurst Studio.
We rehearse weekly during term-time and perform at least three concerts per year.
Click on a button to the left for more information.
- Mike Bridge is a composer, songwriter and producer of TV and computer game music based in Guildford, UK. We were delighted record Mike's new work, the score for a film called "Red Mars", at a special rehearsal on 6 July 2016. You can find some photos from the recording here.
- Clive Jenkins (whose clarinet concerto we performed back in 1999) is having one of his works performed at St James Piccadilly on December 4th 2015 at 7.30pm. Details here.
- Prize-winning classical guitarist Tom McLauchlan performed Rodrigo's Concierto de Aranjuez in our June 2015 concert. A graduate of the Royal College of Music, Tom is fast establishing himself as one of the most dynamic and versatile guitarists of the new generation.
- The KCO travelled to Ghent, Belgium to perform in St Bavo's Cathedral in October 2015.
- Our charity concert in November 2014 raised over £500 for St. Mary's Church, Chalgrove.
- You can purchase tickets for our concerts online here. Tickets become available shortly before the concert date.
- You can now follow the KCO on Facebook!
- Fenella Humphries has performed violin concertos by Britten and Prokofiev with the KCO. She is commissioning three new pieces for solo violin by Cheryl Frances-Hoad, Piers Hellawell & Gordon Crosse, which she will perform and record. You can find all about her "Bach to the Future Project" here.
- Our March 2014 concert was at St Luke's Church, Gibbon Road, Kingston Upon Thames KT2 6AB.
- Our November 2013 concert was at Kingston Parish Church, not Tiffin Girls School as previously advised.
- Our June 2013 concert premiered a short new work, Gyre by up-and-coming composer Freddie Meyers.
- Our concert tour to Antwerp in November 2012 was a great success.
- We performed a charity concert on December 3rd 2012 in aid of the Down's Syndrome Association. It included Schubert's Rondo for Violin and Strings performed by our leader, Helena Ruinard. It was at the Langdon Down Centre in Teddington.